UTAH DRUG OFFENSES
The most common drug offenses in Utah involve drug possession (Possession of a Controlled Substance) and drug distribution (Distribution of a Controlled Substance). Controlled substances including marijuana, heroin, methamphetamine, cocaine, and other narcotics, including many prescription drugs (that have not been prescribed to you). If you have been charged with a drug offense, you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, and the attorneys at M.A. MUNSON LAW have the experience and knowledge to advise you of your rights and help you mount your best and strongest defense. CONTACT our office today for a free, confidential consultation to discuss your case.
Penalties For Drug Possession Offenses in Utah
The degree of a drug possession charge – punishable as a 2nd or 3rd Degree Felony, or a Class A or B misdemeanor, is dependent upon the type and amount of controlled substance possessed, whether the offender has previous drug-related convictions, and whether or not the offender was carrying a weapon or firearm during commission of the offense.
In Utah, the maximum punishment for drug possession, not committed in a Drug-Free Zone, are as follows:
- Class B Misdemeanor--Imprisonment for up to 6 months and/or a fine up to $1,000
- Class A Misdemeanor--Imprisonment up to 12 months and/or a fine up to $2,500
- 3rd Degree Felony—Imprisonment up to 60 months and/or a fine up to $5,000
- 2nd Degree Felony-- Imprisonment for up 180 months and/or a fine up to $10,000
The penalties associated with various drug offenses may be enhanced if:
- The drugs are given or distributed to minors
- Minors were used to distribute the drugs
- The drugs are sold or distributed on or near a school property, a church, or any other Drug Free Zone, which are defined in Utah Code §58-37-8, the Utah Controlled Substances Act.
You Will Benefit From Hiring An Experienced Criminal Defense Attorney
You deserve justice, and at M.A. MUNSON LAW, we are committed to helping you get it! When you retain our services, you can expect to receive a candid assessment of your case, and that we will work tirelessly and aggressively to protect and defend your rights, to ensure that we are able to achieve the best possible outcome in your case.
To learn more about how we can help you, call (435) 238-7734 or CONTACT US ONLINE to schedule a FREE, CONFIDENTIAL CONSULTATION to discuss your case.
With offices in Cedar City and St. George, Utah, we represent clients throughout Central and Southern Utah, including Beaver, Parowan, Washington, Panguitch, Richfield, Milford, Enterprise, Brian Head, Hurricane, Washington, Fillmore, and Kanab.